Friday, September 3, 2010

Empty That Bin in 2010!

The Walrus and The Carpenter --
Lewis Carroll (from Through the Looking-Glass and What Alice Found There, 1872)


"The time has come," the Walrus said,"To talk of many things: Of shoes--and ships--and sealing-wax..."
and all of the crap I have collected (OK, squirreled away -- OK, OK, jealously, obsessively, and compulsively hoarded -- are you happy now?) in my crafting exploits. My first step is admitting my transgressions. (Deep breath and slight look of shame)
Extraneous Craft Crap Top 10
  1. I have projects I started more than 10 years ago - maybe even 20 - that I have not finished.
  2. I have, as near as I can figure, enough embroidery floss to stretch for more than 5 miles. Now of course this is if I separated the strands. I'm not that much of a kook.
  3. I have counted cross stitch magazines from the 1980s.
  4. There are more than a dozen unopened packages of aida cloth.
  5. There are 4 unwrapped canvas boards and unopened tubes of acrylic paint.
  6. I have 14 sheets of watercolor and oil pastel paper and a new box of pastels - unopened, of course.
  7. I have 74 skeins of yarn that are at least only half used. I didn't bother to count the odds and ends that "will make a great patchwork afghan".
  8. There are supplies for new techniques I still haven't had time to learn. This includes broken china to make pendants with and needlepoint kits.
  9. There is a large suitcase and a blanket chest full of fabric and trims for all those curtains and tote bags I have in mind to make.
  10. I have 2 briefcases and one desk drawer full of scrapbooking and card-making tools and supplies.

Are you getting the picture? I'm not even going to get into the plethora of beads and jewelry making stuff I have stashed away. Just thinking about using all of it makes my head hurt.

It's time to do an intervention on myself. I'm going to channel Niecy Nash and get rid of this foolishness. There are 2 months left in 2010 and I have challenged myself to go through my craft supplies and weed out all the things I will never use and organize the rest. I have the plastic storage boxes and the garbage bags standing at the ready. The Taller Half is gone for a few hours and the weather is perfect for opening the patio door to let in the fresh air. Pinky and Davie are glued to the screen door and Little Red Dog is happily curled up on their sofa pillows.

I'm off to Bin City!

Film at 11.

No comments: