Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving Ya'll!

Thanksgiving - the most family oriented of holidays, is upon us. All my life we made the trip to my uncle's home for the big feast. For years it was a short drive - only across town. Later the drive turned into a pleasant 90 minute jaunt. Since I moved to "LA" almost 20 years ago, it's been an overnight excursion because I'm too old to drive 10 hours in one day plus eat a massive home-cooked meal and clean up. (Yes, Aunt Tommie, I know the sterling doesn't go in the dishwasher and I'll dry it immediately so there aren't any water spots.) Actually, the spend-the-night deal is a public service I offer to the others drivers on I-65 - sleeping in the guest room and not behind the wheel of a Trailblazer loaded with the Nervous Little Red Dog and a dozen or so Tupperware containers full of leftovers.

The family is much smaller now. My brother and his family will be eating with his wife's parents and the Taller Half and I will be celebrating at home with more food than we can eat, football on TV and a long walk on the beach. After all the years of traveling, it's rather nice to stay put and nap on my own couch. Even though we are only two, family members who have passed are still with us in the funny stories we remember (with the details changing a wee bit year by year). My Grandmother's china and table linens are used on our table now and then there's the annual watching of the old home movies and never being able to identify some of the relatives (or were they neighbors?)

Mostly, though, the memories are still here in the recipes I use - some written, most just memorized with instructions only I understand. Three handsful of flour are about half a cup, the streak-o-lean in the pole beans is salt pork, and water cornbread doesn't have buttermilk in it. The "drunk sweet potatoes" have brandy in them and no matter what anyone tells you, you don't put the dressing in the turkey's butt - that's why it's called dressing not stuffing. The Taller Half really loves Stove Top but I just can't bring myself to serve it on Thanksgiving. He can have that anytime but good old cornbread dressing with plenty of sage is a once a year delicacy.

Here's the recipe for Uncle D's famous "drunk sweet potatoes. He served them to the kids too since the alcohol burns off during the cooking - or at least that's what he claimed. Maybe that's why the kids got so quiet...hmmm. Enjoy!

RD's Drunk Sweet Potatoes
☼ 4-5 medium size sweet potatoes
☼ 3/4 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
☼ 1/3 cup water
☼ 2 tablespoons butter - use real butter!

☼ Orange zest - at least 1 tsp but more if you like it
☼ Brandy - it doesn't have to be the pricey stuff


Scrub the potatoes and boil them whole until they are tender. Cool for a bit then peel and cut in 1/2" slices. Melt butter in large saucepan and add water and brown sugar. Stir until sugar melts. Add zest. Add the potatoes and stir gently - try not to break them up. You can keep these covered on the back of the stove for now while everything else finishes up. Right before serving add a blurp (my mother's word) of brandy - 1/4 - 1/2 cup depending on your taste. Turn the burner up fairly high and bring the sauce to a good bubble. At this point I'd like to say if you are using a gas stove with an open flame, don't turn it on until after you pour in the brandy. Trust me, it's better this way. If you have any extra brandy you had better drink it before it goes bad!

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone. Enjoy your family and friends whether they are with you at the table or safely tucked into your heart.



1 comment:

Digital Misfit said...

ohhh those sweet potatoes sound amazing! I love sweet potatoes and yet I never make them. I will definitely give this recipe a try.
Thank you for your wonderfully kind comment on my blog :)

hugs,
Heidi