Saturday, February 14, 2009

Watching the Flowers Grow, Part 3

Happy Valentine's Day!The daffodils have been in the ground for a week now and will begin to open in the next couple of days.
Some of the buds on the bottom of the azaleas growing up close to the house have already opened. These are on the front side and will be fully open by Monday.

I need to cut the climbing rose back because the buds form on new growth. But I hate to do it - there are already flowers opening on some of the cane tips.

We had a really heavy rain last night and through most of the day so the soil in the garden is good and damp - just right for planting. This afternoon when I got home from work I put in seeds for sweet basil, leaf lettuce, Kentucky pole beans and Skyscraper sunflowers. The strawberries have a few buds on them and seeds from the Halloween pumpkin I threw out in the garden last fall have started sprouting. Last week I planted some potted herbs - cilantro, flat leaf Italian parsley, curly parsley, thyme, lemon thyme, sage and rosemary. The spearmint I put in last year has spread like wildfire and about a dozen volunteer onions have sprouted up from last years planting. Because our summers are so hot, vegetable and herb gardens do better in the winter. I'll be putting in tomato, eggplant and pepper - sweet banana and bell - transplants by the end of the month and sowing the cucumber seeds.
I'm trying to talk the Taller Half into building me another raised garden bed and adding a couple more timbers to the current one to raise the height another 8" or so. My back is getting too old to bend over for very long and even though getting down on my knees isn't a problem, getting back up is. Of course, I do have marvelous help in my gardening from two of the cats - Bubba the outdoor man and Dixie the all-purpose, indoor/outdoor cat. The nervous little red dog does her part by sitting as close to me as possible and keeping a watchful (and wary) eye on her feline siblings.
The kiss of sun for pardon,
The song of the birds for mirth,
One is nearer God’s heart in a garden
Than anywhere else on earth."

No comments: